Saturday, November 24, 2012

One week.

Well, I've survived one week. And I don't even know how to tell you about everything that as gone on. I pretty much just hit the ground running. It was an exhausting week. Friday night after work all the Korean teachers where asking me my plans for the weekend and I was like, SLEEP. It was so great.

Saturday afternoon I met up with my friend Oliver who I know from MC. He's been in Korea since August. He doesn't live in Seoul, but it's so easy to travel here. Buses, subway, taxis. It's so nice. And compared to home it's so much cheaper. So he came me, and we did a little exploring. It was nice to have a tour guide who spoke English. Bought some post cards. So as soon as I figure out how to send them to you, I'll get one that. Saw the statue of the guy who created the Korean letters. That was cool. Had a good lesson on riding the subway. I mean, it's pretty much just like riding the subway in any other city, you just have to know where you're going. Thats the part I don't really have a full grasp on right now...But I am so good at getting from work to home and home to work. Could do it blind folded by now. It was fun day. The greatest part about it was he gave me an adapter so now I can plug in my computer, and charge my phone at home! And most importantly use my hair dryer and straightener. I won't even begin to tell you what's been going on with my hair. However, my co-teachers have been very complimentary about my hair. I can't wait to show them what it looks like when it's clean and straight!

I do not understand the metric system. And I feel like even after a year here I won't. It's not an easy switch, you know? Sure go 23 years living you're life measuring things in feet and miles and using fahrenheit and then you're just expected to know what 21 degrees celsius is? No. It's hard. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't. Guess I should have paid better attention in chemistry class. Whatever...

My computer at work is all in Korean. So when I have to open documents or use Word right now it's pretty much just click and hope I'm right. Whatever. It's fine. I basically use the same things everyday so I just memorize what to click on and the order. I'm getting there.

So to tell you a little about this process of moving to Korea, I had to get what's called and E-2 visa. It's specifically for foreign teachers and it's for a 12 months period. Once the process is completed on the native country's side you can be allowed to enter the country. (I did all of that, obviously) Once you enter the country you have to have a medical check. So Monday morning my director took me to the hospital to have all these test done. Normal stuff. Sight, hearing, blood pressure, blood and urine, a chest x-ray (ummm, having a chest x-ray in a Korea was a somewhat awkward experience. Pretty sure that's not how it goes down in America, but whatever). My director, David, got the results on Tuesday and he told me that there was a problem. I was like on great. Of course there's a problem. And I asked what it was, and he said, "I don't know. They said maybe there is problem, maybe there is not." (use your Asian accent when you read this). So wednesday, I go back to the hospital for more blood word. He asked me, "Do you have disease?" I was like nooooo.  He said, "Not even small disease?" I was like, what is a small disease?????? So I'm having this blood work done thinking they've found a "small disease" and I'm gonna be shipped home next week. Not a good day. So Thursday we get the results back and David says, "No problem." I still have no idea what was wrong with my blood work and what the difference was the next day. It was probably like low iron or something ridiculous and they're over here making me think I have cancer. Thanks guys. SO, Friday we went to the immigration office to apply for my Alien Registration Card. Like an ID. Once I have that, which should be in a couple weeks, I can get a Korean phone and have internet hooked up in my apartment and finally feel like a real girl again! I told my manager that we must celebrate when I get it. So hopefully soon we'll be going out for some live octopus. I've been trying to get someone to take me to eat octopus since I got here. I did get some pig intestines the other day. Pretty tasty. I won't lie.

It's been a busy week. I've been working hard learning curriculum and teaching books I've never read before. But it's been fun. And everyday gets a little easier. Everything is still very much in the new stage and when I'm alone and need to buy things I'm just just pointing and nodding. But i've been told my korean pronunciation is very good and that I don't even have an accent when I speak it. So as soon as I figure out how to remember everything they're trying to teach me and not just be able to repeat after them I'll be doing great.

Sorry I don't have more pictures. I really have just been working for 7 days. Soon.

Oh, also, at the end of December all of my school's campuses get together for an end of the year party at our main campus in Gwangju. And apparently there is a talent show. And apparently I'm like required to perform...this could be so bad. So I need ideas. I don't have a clue what to do. Email me all ideas. joycemarie.harris@gmail.com

loving you guys!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment