Monday, November 19, 2012

Welcome to Korea

Um...I don't know where to start. Just roll with me.

A LOT happened in four and half days. Have I only been here for four and a half days??? Woah. Weird.

The plane ride was less than desirable for sure. 13 hours is no fun. Middle seat. Homeboy by the widow kept getting up. At least he was skinny. There was this really cute little girl across the aisle from me, but she was not so cute after 7 hours of screaming. She made sleeping difficult.

After my plane landed I had an almost 2 hour bus ride to Lotte World. A shopping mall-ish amusement park. I don't know. My boss picked me up there once I gave my phone to some Korean man standing next to me and said, "Can you tell this man where I am?" I have no idea if he understood me but David found me. It was fine.

For the weekend I stayed in a hotel. My apartment wasn't ready until Monday. It was actually a "love motel" and if you don't know what that is I'm not going to explain it. Use your imagination. But don't worry. There was no love going on. Just lots of sleeping. Jet lag is real. I watched a lot of Korean soap operas over the weekend. They're pretty much like American soap operas. You just turn down the volume and make up the script.

Reading Star (my school) has 5 different campuses. The main one is on Gwanju about 4 hours south of here. A native English teacher from Gwanju was asked to come up for the week and train me. Her name is Frances. She's from Scottland. She's been teaching abroad for several years. She's been in China and Korea. I've been spending most of my time her and she's been a HUGE help adjusting. She's not very familiar with Seoul, since she doesn't live here. But she she's been in Korea for 18 months and she's a fantastic teacher. We're best friends. My Korean coteachers are awesome. I love them. I just smile and giggle a lot because most of the time I have no idea whats going on. I want to take everyone of the children home. But we would be pretty crowded in my tiny apartment.

I've gotta go do some work now. Or pretend to.

xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment