Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Kimchi and Peanut Butter


Some days I feel like my life in Seoul isn’t really that much different from what my life was like in Mississippi. Ya know, other than the fact that I’m in Korea. I work about 50 hours a week and I’m usually too tired to do anything fun when I’m not working so I spend my off days watching American TV that I downloaded from the internet. Pretty much exactly like the last two years of my life. And then I remember that it’s been 102 days since I’ve tasted the glorious nectar that is sweet tea and I’ve been wearing socks for the past 102 days consecutively. Then I realize just how different my life is now. Too many sock days and not enough sweet tea. 
I know it’s been a while since I posted anything. Work has just been really time consuming lately so I literally come home and go straight to bed. I’m now the proud owner of a bicycle. (It’s awesome. Basket and bell included.) So my commute to work has been reduced by more than half. And I pedal pretty quickly on the way home. Sometimes I like to time myself and see how quickly I can get home, do all the things I need to do, and get into bed. And as I type that out I realize just how lame my life is...
I know I've done a really terrible job of keeping you updated. I guess I've been too busy being super lame. I will show you a few pictures of some of the typical food I eat. 
I eat a lot of pork. Korean BBQ. I always eat too much when I eat BBQ. 
Fish. If I remember correctly this is yellow tail. I took this picture a while ago. I eat raw fish every now and then. It's real fresh. Ya know, since Korea is a peninsula and all.

And these little buggers?? Silk worms. They made me eat one. Probably not something I'll make part of my regular diet. However, they are packed with protein. 
Adjusting to the food here has been kind of a weird process. Since I basically only have two favorite things in this world- people and food- I kind of figured it wouldn't be much of a transition. But what I've found to be true for me is that while I like Korean food, it doesn't make me feel the way fried pork chops and mashed potatoes does. And honestly, as much as I hate to admit it, my favorite restaurant is probably a toss up between KFC and Taco Bell. I'm sorry. I feel like a huge culinary disappointment. But something about a french fry and processed cheese just makes me feel like a real girl. There are a handful of dishes that I'm starting to really enjoy. And my palate is adjusting to spicier foods (and my digestive system, but we don't have to talk about that). I do really like bibimbab, which is basically rice, vegetables, and a spicy red bean paste all mixed together. It's a really simple traditional dish. Sometimes people make it fancy with meat or an egg. I also really like this dish that's basically stir fried kimchi and pork belly. It's probably my favorite dish. And I really like kimchi fried rice. 
But all in all, at the end of the day, I don't really worry because I have peanut butter. I keep a jar at home and a jar at work. Sometimes I put it on a banana. Sometimes I eat it with crackers. Sometimes I eat it with ice cream. Sometimes I make a sandwich. And sometimes I just sit at my desk and eat it by the spoonful. That's when I know I'm okay. Kimchi and peanut butter. What else do I need??
Love you, kids.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment