Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cat noises

Since we're an English academy and our sole purpose is to teach English, one of our classroom rules is that the students only speak in English during the class periods. They never abide by this rule. If I had a dollar for every time I said "don't speak in Korean" I would be a ridiculously rich woman. I would probably have a bathtub installed in my apartment. This one particular class of four boys are terrible about this. Their names are Harry, Steven, Joseph, and Jaehyung. (Pronounce that Jay-young. Sometimes I call him young money. He never responds to that.) Joseph is the worst. Sometimes when I ask Joseph a question he answers me in Korean. I give him that very distinct expression I have that let's you know I think you're stupid and he says, "Oh. Sorry, sorry." Which sometimes sounds like oh solly solly. And he answers again. Often the second time around only half of his words will be in Korean. Definite improvement. Well, today I was determined to have a class full of English words. So I told the boys I would bring them a present on Friday. They love food and they love free things. ( See how American I've made them already?? ) But, I told them the present had conditions. If I heard one of them speak Korean that individual did not get the present, and if Joseph spoke Korean, NOBODY got the presents. The other the boys screamed at the same time, "Joseph! Don't speak Korean!!!" Oh but I knew he would...

So we had about 15 minutes left of class and so far there had been no Korean. I'd been very proud. Then I hear Joseph turn around to Harry and say a Korean word. I won't try to spell it phonetically so no one can make fun of me later when I'm wrong. I didn't know the word but I knew it was Korean. And the boys's eyes got really big and it was obvious everybody was trying to pretend like nothing happened. I stopped Harry from reading and asked Joseph what he said. This is the conversation that followed.

Teacher: Joseph, excuse me. Did you speak Korean?
Joseph: (grinning) oh, no.
Teacher: What did you say to Harry?
Joseph: umm...
Steven: meow
Joseph: yes. I said meow.
Teacher: you said meow??
Joseph: yes. Meow.
Teacher: why did you say meow?
Joseph: I like cat.
Teacher: Joseph, I know you didn't make a cat noise.
Joseph: oh yes, teacher. I always make cat noise. Many many cat noise. All the time. Meow! Meow! (Still grinning)
Teacher: ok, Joseph.

It was hysterical. I was dying.

I also had a class inform me today that I am old and uncool. That one hurt a little bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment